Terms and Conditions
Merrill J Fernando Eco Innovation Award
Dilmah Conservation, operating under the wing of MJF Charitable Foundation, was initiated to incorporate environmental conservation efforts into the MJF Charitable Foundation, which focuses on social justice.
The Merrill J Fernando (MJF) Award for Eco-Innovation seeks to reward citizens of Sri Lanka who have breakthrough concepts, tools and technologies that seek to solve national and global environmental issues in the areas of Waste, Water, Energy, Blue Economy and Biodiversity.
The MJF Award aims to benefit both the inventor and the country by not just appreciating a concept or prototype, but facilitating its incorporation into the society, or bringing the ‘Concept to Market’. With this award scheme, Dilmah Conservation hopes to showcase Sri Lanka in a different light and inspire its people to create unique solutions that will carry into a prosperous future.
Dilman Conservation an arm operating under MJF Charitable Foundation having its office at No 111, Negombo road, Peliyagoda.
Merrill J Fernando Eco Innovation Award is open ONLY to citizens of Sri Lanka of all ages.
Directors, officers, management, employees, organizers and judging panel (and the immediate families of Directors, officers, management, employees, organizers and judging panel ) of the Promoter, or of the Agencies or Companies associated with this competition are not eligible to enter this competition.
The competition will be conducted during the Competition Period only – which is from 01st January 2016 to 31st July 2016.
Deadline for Entries
The deadline for submitting the application will be 21st March 2016 at 09.00 am.
During the Competition period all entries must be made via registered application to: www.dilmahconservation.org/eco-innovation-award during the Competition Period, entrants must:
- Visit the web page at: www.dilmahconservation.org/eco-innovation-award.
- Locate the Register button and register for the competition online and follow the prompts to upload the details of the concept/ prototype in the sectors of Waste, Water, Energy, Blue Economy and/or Biodiversity
- The entrants may submit more than one concept/prototype under separate applications.
- The entrants may submit more than one concept/prototype under separate Sector.
- The entrants may not submit the same concept/ prototype in more than two Sector.
- The entrants may not submit more than one concept/ prototype under the same sector
- The promoter has the sole discretion to determine whether the relevant entries meet with the necessary requirements.
|Overall Winner for Prototype Eco-Innovation
|Overall Winner for Concept Eco-Innovation
|Best Eco-Innovation Prototype for Waste Management
|Best Eco-Innovation Prototype for Water Management
|Best Eco-Innovation Prototype for Biodiversity Protection
|Best Eco-Innovation Prototype for Blue Economy
|Best Eco-Innovation Prototype for Energy Consumption
|Best Eco-Innovation Concept for Waste Management
|Best Eco-Innovation Concept for Water Management
|Best Eco-Innovation Concept for Biodiversity Protection
|Best Eco-Innovation Concept for Blue Economy
|Best Eco-Innovation Concept for Energy Consumption
Winners are liable to ONE award only (the overall winners who will be selected from the sector winners will NOT receive a sector winner prize).
The announcements of the winners will be made during the Last week of May 2016 and will be published on the competition website and on Dilmah’s Facebook page. By submitting an entry, the entrant hereby agrees to participate in any publicity related to the Competition. Winners in the Competition agree that their identity may be disclosed in winner announcements and promotional material. The winners also agree to have his/her submission to the competition website used for publicity purposes without any additional payment being made.
The Winners will be notified using the contact details provided with their entries within three days (3) of the announcement on the above mentioned competition website and on Dilmah’s Facebook page. If after five days (5) a winner cannot be contacted, the prize will be given to the runner up.
Terms and Conditions
Information regarding prizes and how to enter forms part of these conditions. By entering, entrants accept these conditions including the terms and conditions set out herein.
- The selection of Eco Innovation Award winners consists of a meticulous process designed to guarantee integrity, and quality participation at all levels. By submitting an application for this award, the participant fully acknowledges this process, and agrees to abide by it. No exceptions will be made for any applicant and failure to participate at any level will lead to disqualification.
- All information disclosed by participants will remain wholly confidential to all persons involved in the selection process.
- Dilmah Conservation has no ownership or commercial interest in any innovations submitted by participants.
- All applicants are required to sign a Declaration of Originality for their innovation, claiming sole ownership of their concept or prototype. If participants fail to disclose ownership, they will be disqualified from the award.
- If the Innovation is a group endeavor participants are required to give in the correct names and contact details of all group members. The member under whose name the registration and submission of application is made will be regarded as the group leader and will be responsible for the entry.
- Judging This is a competition where winners will be chosen by a panel of judges comprising experts in the relevant field appointed and nominated by the Promoters. The decisions of the panel of judges will be final and conclusive and no correspondence will be entered into on their decisions. Chance plays no part in determining the winner. Each valid entry will be judged independantly based on merits, individuality and creativity among other things. Any attempt to influence the decision of the Judges will lead to immediate disqualification.
- Patents and copyright: In submitting an entry, the entrant declares that they are the innovators of the prototype and/or concepts submitted and have sole and complete rights to patent the prototype and/or concepts and any intellectual property rights to the prototype and/or concepts entered in to the competition. The entrant will indemnify the Promoter against any claim, loss or costs incurred by the Promoter where a third party claims ownership of the rights or ideas to the prototype and/or concept submitted. The Promoter reserves the right to request proof of innovation. Entrants retain copyrights to their prototype and/or concepts submitted and agree that innovations and ideas submitted may be used in whole or in part by Dilmah and its sponsors for promotion or acknowledgment of the competition and/or exhibition. The entrant also agrees to allow the Promoter to use their prototype and/or concept for printed collateral, online, in store and across other marketing mediums, at Promoter’s sole discretion and without any additional payment being made to the entrants
- Dilmah Conservation is NOT liable to any costs incurred by individuals for participation in this award or for development of the prototype and/or concept.
- Applications in English, Sinhala and Tamil are welcome. If you are making an entry in Sinhala or Tamil we kindly request you to send an English Translation along with your application in order to facilitate dissemination of information. If a translation is not submitted along with the application form Promoter will carry out the translation before passing the application to the judges. However you are encouraged to carry out the translation yourself so as to avoid errors and loss of information.
- By accepting the MJF Award, the winners will be expected to play an active role in promoting their innovations and MJF Awards in general.
- If applicants do not abide by the conditions set or if any form of misrepresentation is discovered, MJF Awards reserves the right to remove the participant from the award.
- The Promoter may (but is not obliged to) determine at any time, in its absolute discretion, whether or not to publish any entries on the Website and/or Facebook Page, remove any entries once published on the Website and/or Facebook Page, or amend, edit or modify any entries (or any part thereof), or disqualify or invalidate any entry including (without limitation) if the Promoter is of the view that:
- The entrant does not comply with any of the terms and conditions herein set out
- The entrant otherwise breaches these conditions of entry.
- The Promoter will have no liability to entrants if it exercises this right.
- The winner will be notified in accordance with the Winner Notification.
- The winner must, at the Promoter’s request, participate in all promotional activities (such as publicity and photography) surrounding the winning of any prize, free of charge, and they consent to the Promoter using their name and image, video, text file or audio in promotional materials and campaigns undertaken by the promoter, without any charge or cost to the Promoter.
- The Promoter may require winners to provide proof of identity, proof of age and proof of residency at the nominated prize delivery address. Identification considered suitable for verification is at the Promoter’s discretion.
- Entries not fully complying with these conditions of entry may be deemed invalid at the Promoter’s discretion. If a winning entry is deemed not to comply with these conditions of entry including if the winner is unable to take the prize the entry will be discarded and the prize will be awarded to the entrant who submitted the next best valid entry.
- The Promoter and its associated agencies and companies will not be liable for any loss (including, without limitation, indirect, special or consequential loss or loss of profits), expense, damage, personal injury or death which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person’s negligence) in connection with this competition or accepting or using any prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (in which case that liability is limited to the minimum allowable by law). Nothing in these conditions restricts, excludes or modifies or purports to restrict, exclude or modify any statutory consumer rights under any applicable law.
- This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Twitter or Facebook. Entrants are providing their information to the Promoter and not to Twitter or Facebook. Each entrant completely releases Twitter or Facebook from any and all liability.
- If for any reason any aspect of this competition is not capable of running as planned, including by reason of computer virus, communications network failure, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failure or any cause beyond the control of the Promoter, the Promoter may in its sole discretion cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition, or invalidate any affected entries.
- The Promoter is not liable for any tax implications arising from prize winnings. Independent financial advice should be sought. Where this competition involves, for VAT purposes, supplies being made for nonmonetary consideration, entrants will follow the Inland Revenue Department’s stated view that where the parties are at arm’s length, goods and services exchanged are of equal VAT inclusive market values.
- All entries will be the property of the Promoter. The information entrants provide will be used by the Promoter for the purpose of conducting this competition. The Promoter may disclose entrants’ personal information to its contractors and agents to assist in conducting this competition or communicating with entrants. By entering this competition, entrants consent to the storage of their personal information on the Promoter’s database and the Promoter may use this information for future competition and marketing purposes regarding its products, including contacting the entrant via electronic messaging. By entering this competition, entrants consent to receiving email messages from the Promoter that do not contain any functional unsubscribe facility. Entrants can request access to the personal information the Promoter holds about them by contacting the Promoter at their address stated in the Promoter section of these conditions.
- Non-compliance with competition criteria will disqualify the entry.
- These terms and conditions and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with them or their subject matter (including the Competition), existence, negotiation, validity, termination or enforceability (including non-contractual disputes or claims) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the Laws of Sri Lanka.
- The Courts of Sri Lanka shall have exclusive jurisdiction in relation to any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with the Rules or their subject matter, existence, negotiation, validity, termination or enforceability (including non-contractual disputes or claims).